Sunday, November 16, 2014

If He Hits You Once, He'll hit...


 
I’m still 17, and Slim is still my boyfriend. We have our good days, but the bad days outweigh the good days…unfortunately. I have just finished up my shift at work, and I’m beyond tired. I was at school earlier for 7 long, drawn out hours. After school was over I had to punch the clock until 9:00 pm. Slim asked me to come over after I got off of work; I didn’t mind since he lived right down the street from my job.

I’m actually happy to see Slim, but once I arrive at his house I can tell that he has been drinking. He begins to play too rough, and I can sense that he is probably going to hit me if I say the wrong thing.

His guy friends come over, and his family is cooking…they’re having a great time!

Well, I’m tired and Slim decides to take my food that I brought home from work. I’m really not in the mood to play, so I just give up and let him have it. Slim then picks up the keys to my car, and walks out of the house. I begin to cry because I’m tired, and I know that if I try to get them, then he will most definitely hit me.
 
I sit down on the couch, and I begin to cry. Slim’s grandmother comes into the living room, and she asks me why I’m crying. I break down and I tell her that Slim has taken my keys and my car. She goes to the door, sticks her head outside, and begins to yell at Slim, “give Justice her keys!” I’m still sitting on the couch waiting for Slim to bring my keys back; when all of a sudden I see Slim through the storm door.

He walks into the house and throws the keys directly into my face. I was soooooo tired of him disrespecting me! I jumped up to attempt to fight back. Slim, who is 6’10”, punches me in my eye, grabs me by my neck, and slams me into the floor!
 
 

At this point Slim’s sisters are crying, and his grandmother is standing close by me watching. I could tell that she was scared, but what was she going to do? She was older, and it was no way that she could help me. Slim has walked out of the house, and his grandmother is helping me up. I look over, and one of his sisters is standing behind the door crying and watching the entire incident. I grab my keys, my purse, and I walk out of the house to my car.

As I’m walking to my car I see one of Slim’s friends. He has a look on his face as if he feels sorry for me. I felt bad for myself.

Slim is calling my phone telling me to bring him his belongings. I agree to take them to him, but I’m smart enough not to go by myself. I bring along my friend Whitney. She notices that my eye is starting to bruise a little…I look in the mirror, but I’m not surprised by it.

Whitney pulls into Slim’s driveway, and she rolls down the window. One of Slim’s friends begins to walk towards the car to grab the belongings. A few seconds go by, and I see Slim walking out of the house, and towards my friend’s car. I begin to yell, “Reverse! Reverse! GO!” …my friend throws the belongings out of the window, and throws the car into reverse.

We were on the main street, and I was so happy to be dodging Slim’s fist.
 
 
It’s the next morning, and I have school to attend; keep in mind, I’m in the 11th grade. I feel like I have been in a car accident, and my body is beyond killing me. I look in the mirror, and my eye is purple and bruised. I have liquid foundation, and I know it will work. This wasn’t his first time, and this wasn’t my first black eye.

I get a phone call from Slim’s house number; it’s Slim’s mother calling me. “Justice, are you okay?”  

…how did she know what happened? She wasn’t at home when the hitting incident occurred.

Apparently, Slim’s grandmother told her what happened, and what he had done to me. Slim’s mother tried her best to get me to call the police, but I was too afraid to do so. Slim always told me that if I ever called the police, then he would beat me again. I knew that he was not lying to me…

I feared him.

I told her that I was okay, and she soon caught on that I was not going to call the police. I was down emotionally, physically, and spiritually =( The only person that I could call on was God. I couldn’t tell my parents; I was under age at the time, and I wanted to be loved.

Never, ever, EVER, EVER let a man put his hands on you. A man should make you feel safe, protected, and loved…never down. The only man that one should fear is God!
 
 
I was young and blind, but I must say that it was a lesson for me. A man will only do what you allow him to do. At the first sign of violence…leave. Always remember that if a man hits you once, then he will hit you again!

If you are a teen and in an abusive relationship PLEASE tell someone! No woman, especially a young lady, should have to endure domestic violence. I know what it feels like emotionally, let alone, physically; it’s not a great feeling. You will be so much happier once you rid yourself of your abusive “partner”. I PROMISE! You are beautiful, you are special! ...EMBRACE IT! =)
-Justice
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life, but define yourself.” -Harvey Fierstein 

 Twitter: https://twitter.com/HelpSaveJustice

2 comments:

  1. I'm a survivor of domestic abuse as well. It took me a long time to accept that loving yourself before anyone else is the key to someday finding a healthy relationship. I love myself too much to ever let a abusive person in my life at all again. I can spot a red flag a mile away. Thanks for your stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome =) I write them to encourage others who have endured some of the same things that I have...And you are definitely right! You are too beautiful to allow anyone to harm you. Self-love is the best love! =) -Justice

      Delete